Saturday, November 21, 2009

Dylan Ooi - My birth story


It's been 2wks since Dylan was born. We had decided to induce to bring him into this world earlier than he should be. His due date was 25Nov but I was the one having all sorts of funny stuff so, we decided to do it just right on time on w38.


On 11Nov:
11am Admitted to hospital

11.15am Did the enema to clear the bowels and waited for Dr Yang to come by.

11.30am Dr Yang came and did a check and I was still about 3-4cm dilated. Since I was still not in labor, after poking the waterbag, she put me on drip. Before she left, she said this, "It's your last chance. If you want epidural, you better take it now. Else later it'd be too late."

12pm Dr Yang left and we were waiting.

1pm YT went to have his lunch. That was when the contractions start to kick in. It's was pretty quick and I was clenching the pillow when it peaked. Boy was it awful?! Nurse came in and asked if I had wanted epidural, or GA or gas. I said no.. I wanted to endure. Stubborn eh?!

1.3opm YT came back and I was practically angry at him asking him what took him so long... :)

1.45pm Nurse came and asked again, I said ok, I'll take the gas.

2-2.31pm, Dr Yang came by and she checked, I was about 7cm dilated. However, I was already wrenching in pain. Felt like wanting to pass motion and I kept saying I needed to poo! Midwife did a check and said, I was still about 7cm. They called Dr Yang to come back to the labor ward. I think I was screaming and kept insisting, "No, I cannot wait. I must push now". The pain was unbearable at my groin. Nurses replied, "Wait for Dr to come. She needs to wait for the lift. So wait for her to come" It seemed forever to wait for her to come by. When she was here, she did a check and I was about 8cm. I heard her saying, "Something is not right". I don't know what she did but then anyway, it seemed minutes later, I kept saying, "I need to push now!" She did a snip and I was told to push. 1-2pushes and baby Dylan's head is out and 3rd push the body is out. Then I don't remember having to push the placenta out. I did ask, "Is it over yet?" and I heard a chorus of reply of yes :)

Baby was crying on top of his lungs and midwife placed him on my right. That little guy was wriggling about while Dr was trying to cut umblical cord. Then they did some clean up. Awhile later I looked up and it's 3pm

3pm Midwife passed him over for me to latch him on. He did a pretty good job

4pm After nurse cleaned me up, I was wheeled to the single bed room. Had apple tart as the 1st meal of the day. I whopped up the tart and milo. I was damn hungry

As for the rest of the evening, I just lied there and watch TV and slept. Nothing much could be done, until 8plus when I came down from the bed and went to the the toilet on foot after lying on the bed for the whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment